1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
The Pembroke Public Library's 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program is a fun, exciting, and free way to start your child on the path to success!
How to Get Started
Any child not yet in Kindergarten (even newborns!) can participate. 1,000 books may seem like a lot, but if you read just one book a night, you’ll meet your goal in less than 3 years. If you read three books a night, you could reach your goal in just one year!
- Track Your Reading: Log each book you read with your child in Beanstack. If you prefer, you can also download and print a paper reading record. (Every family will get a free board book upon registering.)
- Every Book Counts: Even if your child wants to hear the same book again and again, you can count it each time. You can also count the books your child hears in storytime, in daycare or preschool, or with a friend or family member, as long as your child listens to the entire book.
- Celebrate Your Milestones: Each time you read 100 more books, you can print a milestone marker and take a photo.
- Build Literacy Skills: Get activity ideas from the library in our Activity badges or find your own ways to sing, play, talk, write, and learn with your child.
- Keep Reading: Don’t stop at 1,000! Keep on reading together; there’s more learning ahead!
Download Reading Logs
If you would like a paper record for you books, download our book logs here:
Download Milestone Markers
Each time you read 100 books you can print a milestone marker and take a photo to celebrate! #1000BooksB4K