Learn, Create, Discover, Explore
Resources for Grades 1 - 5
Categories: General Homework Help, Languages, STEM & Health, Computer Skills, News, Games & More, and Podcasts
General Homework Help
Provides on-demand tutoring, homework help, test preparation and writing assistance for students grade K to adult in over 60 subjects. No appointment is necessary! Tutors are available from 2-9 p.m., 7 days a week. You can also use their drop-off reviews, practice quizzes, video lessons, and The Princeton Review® SAT®/ACT® Essentials for self-study, 24/7.
Start the conversation in your choice of over 70 world languages and dialects through courses crafted using conversational methodology. You can even download the app and learn on-the-go!
STEM & Health
San Diego Zoo Kids
Take a virtual trip to the San Diego Zoo! You can find pictures of all the animals at the zoo, watch videos or live animal cams, play games, and learn about all kinds of animals from A to Z.
When the power goes out, it’s time for action. Venture into the dark, explore different locations, meet new characters, and discover the reason behind the blackout with your science skills.
Interland by Google
Interland is an adventure-packed online game that puts the key lessons of digital citizenship and safety into hands-on practice. In the game, players explore four floating islands: Kind Kingdom, Reality River, Mindful Mountain, and Tower of Treasure.
Progress through lessons for touch typing (using all of one's fingers to type on a keyboard, without looking at the keys) that includes upper and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols.
News & Social Awareness
TIME for Kids
TIME for Kids brings real news and information to young people so that they can develop a lifelong interest in, and a connection to, world events, enabling its readers to become literate, critical thinkers, and informed, responsible citizens. Readers can visit their articles for grades K-1, grade 2, grades 3-4, or grades 5-6.
Games & More
ABCya features fun, educational games for Pre-K to grade 6+ in a variety of topics and categories including math, letters, geography, strategy, and more! This teacher-created site is kid-friendly and also works on mobile devices and tablets.
- Circle Round: *The stellar host curates global folktales in this podcast from WBUR: Boston’s NPR news station.
- Story Pirates:* Actors perform kid-written sketches that are weird, funny, and original.
- Buttons & Figs:* Nonsense literature, from jokes to tongue twisters, helps kids make sense of the world around them and create nonsense of their own.
- "What if" World:* The narrator spins comic tales out of kid questions, like “What if Santa were an elephant?” or “What if sharks had legs?”
- Peace Out:* Perfect for getting kids to relax and breathe while sneaking in mindfulness lessons. A great way for kids to wind down.
- Tumble:* Crack science reporting and interviews with experts on new scientific discoveries, from biofuels to black holes.
- Short and Curly:* An Australian podcast examines serious ethical questions (“Would you donate your kidney to a stranger?”) with plenty of time for students to interact and share views.
- Story Seeds: This show captures the magic that unfolds when kids ages 6-12 collaborate with beloved storytellers who grow original stories inspired by their story ideas!
- The Past and the Curious:* History with a side of fun, this features stories about such figures as Nellie Bly and Henry “Box” Brown.
- The Unexplainable Disappearance of Mars Patel:* Middle grade kids script and voice this mystery show in a high-quality cross between The Goonies and Stranger Things.
- The Alien Adventures of Finn Caspian:* Sci-fi adventures starring an eight-year-old on a space station who explores the galaxy with friends.
- Brains On!:* Kids submit questions; scientists answer them. Music, wisecracks, and decoding a mystery sound every episode keep things lively.